Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Field Journal # 1

When I saw and read every picture of the assigned book, Megg's History of Graphic Design, I was stunned at the how the human level of expression has evolved. Every century, few decades, or era or so, I see radical differences overall in the fashion, capability, and tools of graphic design.  I was excited to see the increasing bravery of expression in the designers as time went on, as well as the diversity and universiality of subject matter.  Some areas I found more interesting were typography, satire and logos, but I wouldn't say these were the only interesting areas at all!  The World War II era contribution to design was cunningly fast, to the point that one could have had about 50 years of history in more or less a decade.  The Japonisme of the Art Nouveau was interesting, as it pointed out that you can have inspiration from all over the world and still have a down-to-earth result.  As I always am, I found the Renaissance the momentous part of graphic design history, as it broke away from many of the conservative aspects of Medieval life.
I have very few, if not, no disappointments in viewing all the images in this graphic design history book.

No comments:

Post a Comment