Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Field Journal #3: Typography

 I have always considered myself a font and typography enthusiast. As I mentioned last post, back when I was a toddler I could read the word "pizza" even if the Z's looked liked number 3's! Much later on in life, I figured that this was a mere difference in either handwriting style or typeface, depending on which method was used to make it.  When I started using computers more often and composed digital comics with it, I often found myself searching for free font collections on the web to contribute to my powers of expression.
By the way, what you on the right just happens to be a ligature letter, often seen in languages such as Norwegian and Danish. It is called "ligature Æ" ("æ" lowercase) and is essentially a compound letter of A and E. In Norwegian and Danish it is used quite often, and gives you an equivalent usage to "Ä, with umlaut" in German. It is also notably used for Latin texts and a few words in English sometimes such as "mælstrom," "encyclopædia," and "mediæval."
Anyway, at some point I was so interested in typography that I had my folks buy me some typography software to see if I could make my own fonts for kicks:
Of course, I figured that I could do much better than the first time, so I figured that I could just try doing it again, albeit with a different style.
One of my favorite classic typefaces to date is "Bodoni," so naturally I paid some extra attention when Bodoni was mentioned in the textbook. I appreciate the contrast of the thick and thin lines. I've always thought that is what made that font special and aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment